Friday, November 30, 2007

Auto Slovene



Now don't get me wrong, I love the Slovene language. I work on it everyday, practicing with whomever is nearby, listening to others speak, asking questions, doing vocabulary drills. I reckon I learn about a few dozen new words everyday. I am doing what I can to make this relationship work.

But I have to face the facts, and admit that I am not ready to move to the next level. I tried to be agreeable when I downloaded Firefox and found that it automatically set itself to Slovene. Great!, I thought, another handy way to learn the language. No problem. So I've left it that way, but then more and more programs decided to follow suit and I soon found myself staring at a small indecipherable error window, racing to my slovar to find out what had happened. It was just too much. So yesterday when I downloaded GIMP and saw that it had been "auto Slovenicized" I searched around trying to figure out how to un-poslovaniti it. Luckily the forums had an answer..I had to delete everything but English. And so I did, and it was solved.

But never fear! While Slovene may be deleted from that program it will never delete from my heart. We're just taking it one step at a time, so I'll give it the keys to my apartment.... but it can't move in yet.

4 comments:

Disablez said...

Well, if you're using Windows (yikes!) you should have a folder called GTK+ Runtime Environment, where there is a "Select Language" app.

On linux, just change your locale to en_US.utf8, either by

export LANG=en_US.utf8; export LC_ALL=en_US.utf8

or using the distro's system settings.

Camille Acey said...

Thanks for the advice, Disablez! I'm gonna leave everything that is already in Slovene alone (since I've got it mostly figured out) but I will heed the advice for future installs.

Anonymous said...

I'm a Slovene and all my programs are set to English language. When I have to use a Slovene version (I make my computer guy do that for me, I admit), I'm completely lost and I know I'm not the only one ... so don't feel bad :=)

Camille Acey said...

Hey Anja,
This makes me feel a lot better!