Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Appreciation

As it turns out yesterday was international Blog Action Day on the environment, but I just found out today(thanks, Dr. Fil!). So anyway, I'm sure today is just as good day to post this picture I took as I walked home from the želežniška postaja (train station) on Saturday. You can see the lights from the tracks and then valley below. I live on the higher ground side of the tracks (not sure if it's the good side or not).



The Captain is obsessed with nature and has been really pushing me to go out on small hikes with him. This weekend we are supposed to go for an 8-hour one. Now, I have (thus far in life) prided myself on being a real city girl who is not interested in nature. While it it is all well and good and yes, I know we should save it, I never had any strong desire to go to it. I think it is party of the city girl thang, it just comes with the territory. Dirty hiking boots? Peeing in the forest? Eating trail mix? City Girl say Nooooo. I'm also not a person who gushes. I certainly have feelings (somewhere in there) but I just don't clutch my heart and spin around and sing to the heavens about much. Certainly not about "breathtaking mountains" or "aaahhh, just smell that fresh air", nope nope nope.

In the past this has never been a problem, there wasn't really much nature to be had in New York, and none of my friends every demanded that we hop on the train in search of any. But, now, due to my bizarre choice of partner and abode, I am grappling with this issue. Being in and going to nature is The Captain's greatest joy and it seems to be quite the popular past time for many here. We see piles and piles of cars headed to the mountains every weekend with their bicycles, kayaks, and climbing poles, even from places as far away as Spain and the Netherlands. I kinda just don't get it, and I don't know if I ever will, but I am wondering whether (for the sake of peace) I should just do as the Romans do. It's not something worth fighting about, and I am not really sure why I care so much. The truth is--and I know it sounds silly-- but I think that I'm just worried that, while I'll never be mistaken for a Roman in all these doings, I just might lose myself.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
dr. filomena said...

Wow Camille, you sure are in for a culture shock here :-) You're either experiencing the City Life to the fullest or the real Countryside, huh? Extremes....

Camille Acey said...

Yeah I have a hard time with subtlety.

Camille Acey said...

BTW, you're all updated on my blog roll. The new website looks great. When we have our baking workshop I might need to beg for a little web design tutorial too. ;)

dr. filomena said...

Thanks, C! No problem. We'll do the design tutorial while the cake's baking in the oven. How's that? :-)

Hey, want to come over this Saturday evening? We could bake something and then go out for a drink?

Anonymous said...

That's really a complex topic...

Ever since reading this post I have been buggered by an inner voice squeaking "tell her, tell her!"...

So I have no choice but to offer a piece of ... consolation (damn): all this staying outdoors can only support our natural beauty, so we appear all the shinier in the Cities.

There, I said it (I love Outdoors much more than City life, but I can understand your sentiments quite well)

Camille Acey said...

@ alcessa - Sounds good to me! I now have to find a way to turn this into a snappy mantra!

Anonymous said...

How about: This is ... one giant step for my beauty, one giant step for my-...etc.