Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Marvelous Merlene



Long time readers may remember my post about Jamaican-born Slovenian-naturalized Olympic runner, Merlene Ottey, but few (including me) may have realized that old girl -- now in her middle ages -- was still running on on Slovenia's team. Two days ago, she became the oldest woman (at 50 years young) to take part in the Euro Championships, and though she didn't make it to the final of the relay she ran, she has no intention of slowing down.

"I don't see the end at the moment. My goal now is to try and qualify for the World Championships and as for the Olympics (in 2012) ask me after that," she said.


Go on, girl!

Daily Mail Online - Ottey fails at fifty... but don't rule her out of London 2012

6 comments:

Viajera said...

I just don't know how she does it. Maybe because she never stopped. :D Good for her.

'Drea said...

It's good to hear that Ottey still has it.

I know that I want to be one of those 80 year olds who rides a bike et al.

Anonymous said...

Surprised you did not know much about Ottey before. If you're an Olympic track and field fan everyone knows about the Bronze Queen. She's a legend.

Camille Acey said...

Well Anonymous, I don't really follow the sport (or any sport, to be honest). I mean, I know of Flo Jo and Jackie Joyner Kersee and I've heard about Usain Bolt, but the knowledge pretty much stops there.

Aritul said...

If that is her at 50, then she looks damn good.

BeautyinBaltimore said...

I think merlene is going to go for the London Olympics. She was at the 2008 but didn't make it out of the semi final. I wish her luck because she is one of my favorite track&field athletes.

Btw, how are you? It's been so long. I hope life and marriage are treating you well.